Sunday, June 17, 2007

Maps, boats, and other nautical stuff


Left: Paris, Le Rouge 1742. "Decorative map of Finland by the French cartographer Le Rouge. This antique map of Finland shows the movements of the Swedish and Russian during the war 1742 in Finland."
Right: Leipzig, Merkur 1758 "This antique map shows the surrounding of Tornea in Finland with many engraved details on the rivers, lakes, woods and small place names mostly along the coastline."
Antique Maps



Top Left: Nothern Europe. ~1780s
Top Right: The detailed coastal areas of Denmark, southern Sweden, Finland and the Baltic states. 1850.
Bottom: Sweden, Norway and Finland with an inset map of Iceland. 1800/1804
Europe - Scandinavian Maps

More maps
Antique Maps - Scandinavia



Shipyard coloured advertisement
Source



1876 builder's model. English.
More models





19th century shipyard photos.
Some Scandinavian history.
Shipyard shots and info on boats and shipyard.



New boats, old style. Pretty! Hey, the boat has its own sauna, too!
Vivan
Traditional Sailing Ship Association in Finland. (most of the links aren't english)




Examples of 19th Century, brass telescopes with leather covers.

Antique tools and instruments.

3 comments:

K said...

This "see-soo ger-null" you may have heard of has some really good shots from Finland. Stuff like the maritimes shots will make great reference material as well.

Chrystene said...

Wow, this is cool. I am still wondering how to dress the set of the shipyard boss and seeing your maps I am wondering about finding an online map of Finland from about 1890 and printing it out and putting it in a frame... If we don't get close on it we won't even notice it's a printout, even if we do it on several sheets of paper and glue them together to make it larger. We might also be able to do this with one or two paintings of sailing ships, since we didn't happen to see any in the second hand stores we visited last week. In that case finding a couple of paintings of Finnish sailing ships from 1890 or earlier that are high resolution would be awesome. And I can print at school for free so stuff like that don't print at home.

The telescopes are amazing. That is exactly what I am thinking Tom should have.

By the way, you can ease up on the sheer AMOUNT of work you are putting into this! I know you are VERY thorough but it's too much. Just look for one or two cool examples of things; I am afraid you are going to knock yourself out in the first two weeks of preproduction! Besides our Line Producer is really cracking the whip and wants to meet at the end of the week and see where we're at so costumes and props research should be wrapping up at that point and the 'gathering' and fabricating should start next week.

Great job. Raul just visited your blog and is REALLY impressed. I think he left a comment or two as well.

K said...

Ok, I'll try to settle down a little! When I start searching I keep coming across cool pictures or things that might be useful at some point so I hoard them all.

I really like those telescopes. I saw some really nice compasses and other nautical stuff too, but I refrained!

Yeah those maps are a little dated. I've come across some really nice maps, but most are inappropriate for the shots (too old, too new). I think I have some that should work now.